× Your forum for sharing your online (and offline) purchase experiences - from the home coffee equipment marketplace.

file La Pavoni GCM

• mickdemaria
  • mickdemaria's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
1 year 9 months ago - 1 year 9 months ago #4827 by mickdemaria
Hello everybody, I've been lurking the forum for some time and now I decided it was the moment to jump in.
My parents bought their first espresso machine in 1980, well some time has passed ;). It was a Baby gaggia I grew up witth Ater that I hha a Faema famy which I loved for some time and after that another baby gaggia that after 15 years of honourable service just passed away. I think now I'm ready to go a step further. I was looking for something with a brass boiler and group, made to last and not too expensive. I still have my gaggia grinder and base-platform which I'd like to keep using. After some research I ended up with two models:
- The Lelit PL041
- The La Pavoni GCM
eshop.lapavoni.com/en/pump-machines/gran-caffe-gcm.html

I've read some good things about the lelit and this looks lioke a good choice for me, the only problem is that it is 1 cm too wide and won't fit on the base platform I have. (the platform has a spot for the grinder with awasste drawer and a spot for the machine and is a perfect organization for the space I have).
I've been looking for infos about this La Pavoni model since I really liked the specs but I could find nothing exept the specs on the website:

I also saw a cheaper model that seems similar but for the presence of a Pump pressure gauge, and a model with a pressurized filter holder:
It is strange though that nobody has ever talkes about this machine. Any experience, thought, or advice about it?
Thank you very much for your attention, I apologize for my poor english but love for espresso has no frontiers :)
Last Edit: 1 year 9 months ago by colin. Reason: Taking out extra links

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 9 months ago #4828 by colin
There is nothing fundamentally wrong with any of those machines --

They are basically clones of the Saeco Classico - a design that has not really changed in 20 years -
and why should it? It is a reliable design.

I would avoid the units with the pressurized porta-filter and stick to the tried and traditional -
not sure - but are they steel boilers or brass?

Gaggia has always been reliable but I am not a big fan of aluminum boilers.

My two - cents.

Your English is just fine!

• mickdemaria
  • mickdemaria's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
1 year 9 months ago - 1 year 9 months ago #4829 by mickdemaria
Thank You colin for the reply. All these machine come with a brass boiler and brass group, this makes me think they should be rather well made. The lelit had a 57 filter while these machines have a 53 filter. Would this make a great difference? I also saw the la pavoni puccino cpl, there are some nice espresso shots on youtube but not a real review or info... I could also try to find an old used Gaggia classic, with a little money and some setup that could work. You think aluminum boiler is to avoid?
Last Edit: 1 year 9 months ago by mickdemaria.

More
1 year 9 months ago #4830 by colin
The 57mm group means a larger filter (and coffee holder) and more coffee for a better double shot.

The aluminum boiler corrodes faster and you are always drinking aluminum in your shots... at some level.

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds