- Created: Monday, 20 September 2004 13:11
- Written by colin newell
Making Cappuccino with the EX-450Guide for Photo at right.
- 1.) Steam boiler cap
- 2.) Portafilter lock
- 3.) Power/Brew/Steam mode switch
- 4.) Coffee holder portafilter
- 5.) Steam wand
- 6.) Glass Coffee Carafe
1. Cappuccino is a mixture of espresso coffee, milk and frothed milk.
Fill a deep, narrow pitcher with fresh, cold milk and set next to the espresso/cappuccino maker.
2. Follow Steps 1 through 9 in the Salton EX-450 espresso section for making espresso.
3. When the coffee starts to flow into the carafe, hold the pitcher by the handle and bring up to the steam jet. Insert the jet just under the surface of the milk.
Turn the function knob gradually to steamand froth the milk, adjusting steam to achieve desired frothiness.
Move the pitcher in a slightly circular motion.
REMINDER: Before frothing milk, make sure the tip of the steam jet is just under the surface of the milk. Otherwise, splattering may occur.
4. After frothing, turn the function knob to "BREW;' to allow the appliance to complete the espresso making process.
5. Remove the pitcher from the steam jet.
6. When the coffee has stopped flowing into the carafe, turn the function knob to the "OFF" position.
7. BEFORE REMOVING THE FILTER HOLDER OR THE SAFETY LID, TURN THE FUNCTION KNOB
TO STEAM AND WAIT UNTIL NO FURTHER STEAM
EMERGES FROM THE STEAM NOZZLE.
This will allow any extra steam to be released and will clean the steam jet of any excess milk. Then turn the function knob back to the "OFF" position.
8. Serve the hot, frothy milk by spooning it on top of your cup of espresso.
The froth will not readily pour from the container, since it separates from the heated milk.
The best frothed milk is obtained when fresh, cold skim milk is used, drawn from a deep, narrow pitcher. When frothing milk, the volume of milk will double. The top half will be froth, the bottom half will be milk. Fill a cappuccino cup 1/3 with freshly brewed espresso coffee.
Pour in an equal amount of warm milk and top with frothed milk.